Joseph M Gates Memorial Scholarship
The Colorado Claims Association offers the chance to insurance industry professionals for their sons, daughters, stepsons & stepdaughters. Starting last year we changed our parameters and will now be accepting applications from BOTH current high school seniors (Class of 2022), as well as recently graduated students (Class of 2021.) *Applicants are only eligible to receive one (1) scholarship award *
The 2021 topic is regarding Cybersecurity:
Recently, there have been some high profile cyber attacks on various businesses, including a data breach at a major insurer (CNA). In your essay please discuss the following questions:
– What factors do you think are driving the increase in cybercrime and ransomware attacks?
– What can companies do to manage the risk associated with more sophisticated cyber crime?
– What role can the insurance industry play in helping companies manage this risk?
- Minimum 500 words
- Double spaced with footnotes and references
- The following documents must be submitted to email@example.com by Friday, October 1st for consideration:
- Cover letter applying for the Scholarship outlining who your sponsor is (parent in the industry)
2020 Joseph M Gates Memorial Scholarship Recipients
Congratulations to all 3 of the 2020 scholarship recipients: Benjamin Carlson, Emilia Carlson, and Ellie Springer
- Ben Carlson plans on attending Metropolitan State College, with a major in communication design. His long term goal after college is to start a career in the field of graphic design or multimedia production. Ben’s father, Ron Carlson, is a Claims Manager at OneBeacon Insurance.
- Emi Carlson plans on attending the University of Northern Colorado, starting in Fall 2021, with a major in special education. Her long term goal after college is to start a career within the Special Olympics organization here in Colorado. Emi’s father, Ron Carlson, is a Claims Manager at OneBeacon Insurance.
- Ellie Springer hopes to be able to attend Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute to study aerospace engineering along with taking cognitive science courses integrated into video game design. Ellie’s mother, Heidi Springer, is a Claims Account Executive at IMA Colorado.
2019 Joseph M Gates Memorial Scholarship Recipient
Congratulations to the 2019 scholarship recipient: Brooklyn Larsen.
Brooklyn graduated a semester early from Legend High School and is planning on attending Utah State starting in Fall 2020 to study Chemistry. (She was also accepted into the Colorado School of Mines!) Her father, Bryn Larsen, is a Commercial Casualty manager at Nationwide Insurance.